2 NJ Transit buses collide in Lincoln Tunnel, injuring 46 people

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW JERSEY — More than 40 people were injured when two New Jersey Transit buses crashed in the Lincoln Tunnel Monday, causing extensive delays during the morning commute, officials said.

A spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey confirmed this afternoon that a total of 46 passengers on board the two New Jersey Transit buses that collided this morning around 8:40 a.m. were treated at the scene or transported to area hospitals.

Investigators have determined that one bus driver cut the other off.

Some of the bruised and bloodied passengers pressed ice packs against their heads. Officials said the worst injuries were a broken jaw, a broken wrist and a seizure. The crash shut down the center tube of the Lincoln Tunnel throughout this morning’s rush hour.

"I took my gym shirt out of my bag to give to someone who was bleeding so much. It was really scary,” said Emily Sorokes, a passenger. "I actually think our bags helped brace the impact for us. But yeah, I think we were some of the only ones who didn’t have ice packs and weren’t bleeding.”

Passengers said the floor beneath their feet buckled upon impact.

“I think a bus passed us and we went 40 miles per hour, and we just slammed into the bus in front of us,” said Sidd Shah, another passenger.

There were 91 passengers on board the route 127 and route 128 buses when they crashed.

“The one bus was in the left lane and made a quick turn into right lane. The bus coming up behind did not have time to stop and hit the first bus,” said Michael Fedorko, Superintendent of Police for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

Port Authority police issued three citations to the driver of the bus in front for improper lane change, careless driving and unsafe lane change, police said.

The tunnel's center tube was temporarily closed, prompting delays of about two hours, officials said. It was reopened by 11:30 a.m.

The buses were on route from Ridgefield and Fairview, New Jersey, to the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

PIX11's Ashley Soley-Cerro contributed to this report.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.