SALT LAKE CITY — Several children at a Salt Lake City elementary school were sent to a hospital Thursday after they ate marijuana-laced brownies that another student brought to the playground.
According to a letter from the Salt Lake City School District, a student at Lincoln Elementary school brought the brownies to the playground before school and sold or shared several of them with sixth-grade students, PIX11 affiliate KSTU reports. Lincoln Elementary has students in kindergarten through sixth grade.
Salt Lake City police say the girl distributed the brownies to seven students, all of whom knew the brownies were laced with marijuana. The students began to feel ill after ingesting them. Two of the seven ended up going to a hospital as a result and, as of Friday afternoon, they remained hospitalized, LTSU reports.
The school district says it will be instituting disciplinary, corrective and/or remedial action where appropriate. The parents of all children involved have already been contacted and Thursday’s events appear to be an isolated incident, school officials said.
“We encourage you to also take this opportunity to speak with your children about the dangers associated with drug use,” the school district said in a press release. “Our counselor will also be working with our sixth grade teachers to plan and implement lessons that build the necessary social skills that will help our students choose to be drug-free and make other healthy lifestyle choices.”AlertMe