Protesters chant ‘hate crime’ outside court after man charged with murdering Queens woman

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

JAMAICA HILLS, Queens — Police have charged a man with murder in the fatal stabbing of a Queens woman on Aug. 31.

Yonatan Galvez-Marin, 22, of Queens, was arrested and charged with murder, robbery and criminal possession of a weapon.

Nazma Khanam, 60, was stabbed during an attempted robbery in Jamaica Wednesday night. (Family photo)

Nazma Khanam, 60, was stabbed during an attempted robbery in Jamaica Wednesday night. (Family photo)

Nazma Khanam, 60, was walking with her husband about 9 p.m. last Wednesday when a man approached and stabbed her. Khanam's husband, who was just a few steps behind her, was unable to save her as he watched his wife of 40 years die in his arms.

Khanam, a Bangladeshi-American, died later in the hospital.

A GoFundMe account has been set up to provide financial assistance and cover funeral costs.

Galvin-Marin lived on Normal Road, the same road where Khanam was stabbed to death that night. Surveillance video of Galvin-Marin allegedly walking down a street was released a few days after the incident.

Shamsul Khanam, the husband and a retired physics professor, and their son Naimul spoke to PIX11 News shortly after the family left for the funeral.

"I saw her walking down, holding her chest with her left hand," said Afjal, who heard her screams. "I don't know why someone would target a 60-year-old woman, nevertheless. I don't know what to think of it."

Congresswoman Grace Meng of Queens released the following statement on the arrest of Galvin-Marin:

“I thank the NYPD for making a quick arrest in this case. The coward who committed this despicable crime must and will face justice. The Khanam family remains in our thoughts and prayers at this difficult time, and we continue to stand with the Bangladeshi and Muslim community.”

Marin was ordered without bail and will return to  court on Sept. 9.

Community members gathered outside of the court room Sunday chanting "hate crime" following the charges.

If convicted, he faces up to 25 years to life in prison.