Debt collectors can seem scary. These are people who call you and demand payment whether you have it or not. They can even threaten you with credit destruction, wage garnishments and legal action.
The good news is, even the most savvy debt collectors have their weaknesses and personal financial educator Tiffany Aliche -- the "Budgetnista" – reveals them.
Follow her 9 ways to successfully handle debt collectors:
- Get organized
- Have a plan from the start
- Talk to debt collectors on your own terms
- Do your research
- Be prepared
- Remain calm
- Do not admit to anything (at first)
- Ask for everything in writing
- Never forget who you’re talking to