Milwaukee shooting victim identified as 23-year-old Sylville Smith

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MILWAUKEE, W.I. — The Milwaukee police chief has identified the victim in Saturday's police shooting as Sylville Smith, 23.

The chief said Smith has a lengthy arrest record.

Earlier, a woman identified her 23-year-old son as the man fatally shot by Milwaukee police.

Mildred Haynes told The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that her son, Sylville Smith, was killed Saturday in a police shooting that triggered explosive protests on the city's north side.

Haynes says Smith, who was black, had a 2-year-old son.

Milwaukee's police chief said the officer who shot Smith was also black.

Police say Smith fled during a traffic stop and was armed. It's unclear whether he pointed a gun at officers.

The Journal Sentinel reported Smith was charged last year in a shooting and was later charged with pressuring the victim to withdraw testimony that identified him as the gunman. Both felony charges were later dropped for reasons that are unclear.

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker activated the state's National Guard to help law enforcement in Milwaukee if violence there persists after violence broke out in the streets Saturday night.

Angry crowds took to the streets in Milwaukee to protest the shooting death of an armed man, identified by his mother as Sylville Smith, by a police officer hours earlier.

At least four businesses were burned and one police officer was hurt Saturday night in violence that broke out a few hours after an officer shot Smith, who fled a traffic stop and who police said had a handgun.

Walker says he took the step after receiving a request from Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke and talking with Mayor Tom Barrett and the Guard's leader. His announcement says the Guard will be in position to help "upon request."

Walker praised citizens who showed up Sunday to clean up the north-side neighborhood where the violence took place. He called for "continued peace and prayer."

The incident started Saturday afternoon when two officers stopped two people who were in a car in the north side, according to the Milwaukee Police Department.

Shortly after, both car occupants fled on foot as officers pursued them, police said.

During the chase, an officer shot one of the two — a 23-year-old man who was armed with a handgun, believed to be Smith, according to authorities.

"He (officer) ordered that individual to drop his gun, the individual did not drop his gun," Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett said. "He had the gun with him and the officer fired several times."

The man died at the scene. It's unclear whether the second occupant of the car is in police custody.

'All-out-effort' to restore order

Hours after the shooting, a large crowd turned out to protest later that night. Some demonstrators threw objects at police cars, leaving one officer hospitalized after a brick struck him in the head, the mayor said.

Some protesters set buildings ablaze, including a gas station, a beauty shop, a bank and an auto shop.

Three people who were in the gas station rushed out before it went up in flames, the mayor said.

Go home, mayor pleads

As the chaos escalated, authorities implored the crowds to disperse and go home. Some used social media to urge others to come out and take part in the protests, according to Barrett.

"If you love your son, if you love your daughter text them, call them, pull them by the ears and get them home. Get them home right now before more damage is done," the mayor said.

The mayor said police presence will be strong as part of an "all-out-effort" to restore order. At least three people have been arrested, he said.

The shooting occurred near the scene of a double homicide that happened this month. In the related attacks August 9, a man was shot dead while another one was fatally stabbed, police said.

"This is a neighborhood that has unfortunately been affected by violence in the recent past," Barrett said.

"I know this neighborhood very very well. And there are a lot of really really good people who live in this area -- in the Sherman Park area, who can't stand this violence."

At 3:20 a.m. Sunday, police tweeted that they are restoring order and "reducing deployments."

Local officials plan to meet with church and community leaders Sunday to discuss ways to move forward.

Police: Suspect had stolen gun

The suspect, 23, was shot twice — in the arm and chest, the mayor said. His handgun was stolen during a burglary in Waukesha in March, according to police.

"The victim of that burglary reported 500 rounds of ammunition were also stolen with the handgun," police said in a statement.

The officer, 24, was assigned to District 7 and has six years of service with the Milwaukee Police Department — three of those as an officer.

He was not injured and will be placed on administrative duty during the investigation and subsequent review by the district attorney's office.

At the time of the shooting, he was wearing a body camera, Barrett said, adding that it was his understanding that it was operational.

By state law, the Wisconsin Department of Justice will lead the investigation.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.