Dog left in hot vehicle outside Virginia PetSmart dies; teen arrested
FALLS CHURCH, V.A. — A dog has died after a Virginia teen left it inside an overheated vehicle parked outside a PetSmart, police said Monday.
Megan Campbell, 19, left a 5-year-old puggle in a hot vehicle outside a Falls Church, Virginia PetSmart.
Police and firefighters responded to a call about a dog locked in a vehicle around 12:23 p.m. Monday and when they arrived, they found the Puggle in distress, according to the Fairfax County Police Department.
They got into the vehicle and tried to cool the dog down but weren’t able to.
Firefighters took the dog into the vet’s office inside of the PetSmart where it was pronounced dead, police said.
Campbell was arrested and charged with felony animal cruelty.