CONEY ISLAND, Brooklyn — The Coney Island Mermaid Parade is back on Saturday for its 34th year.
Among the mermaids and mermen, antique cars and fantastic floats, here’s what you need to know to have a whale of a time.
The parade is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. and end about 4 p.m.
The best way to get to the parade is by subway, according to the official parade website. Take the D, F, N or Q subway to Stillwell Avenue.
If you do travel by car, the best places to park are the New York Aquarium and the MCU Park. There are also a number of private lots between Surf and Neptune avenues and West 8th and West 17th streets. The Coney Island amusement area is also accessible via Exits 6 and 7 on the Belt Parkway.
However, Coney Island organizers strongly suggest taking public transportation, as traffic will build and parking may become hard to find.
The parade will travel along this route:
- The Parade will start at West 21st Street and Surf Avenue
- The Parade will roll east to West 10th Street
- At West 10th Street, the Parade will turn south towards the boardwalk
- At the Boardwalk, the marchers and push-pull floats will turn west and head towards West 17th Street
- At Steeplechase Plaza, the Parade will disband
The parade is the largest art parade in the nation and a celebration of ancient mythology and honky-tonk rituals of the seaside, according to Coney Island organizers.