Got a Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV or Android TV? Get PIX11 content there now!

Connecticut man calls in bomb threat to distract officials from car theft: police

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MILFORD, Conn. — A Connecticut man was arrested Monday after he allegedly called 911 with a bomb threat to distract authorities while he tried to steal a car, police said.

Dylan Esposito, 43, was arrested in Milford, Connecticut after he allegedly called in a bomb threat to distract police from an attempted car theft.

Dylan Esposito, 43, was arrested in Milford, Connecticut after he allegedly called in a bomb threat to distract police from an attempted car theft. (Milford Police)

Police charged Dylan Esposito, 43, with two felonies for threatening a group of people and attempted grand theft.

The Killingworth resident allegedly placed a 911 call Monday around 12:15 p.m. from a restaurant in Milford. He told the dispatcher there was a bomb at Chevrolet of Milford located at 655 Bridgeport Ave., police said.

As authorities were evacuating the nearby area, Esposito was located in the car dealership’s parking lot and held for questioning, police said.

Police later learned that Esposito stole a key earlier that day to a 2017 Chevy Silverado at the dealership. He allegedly planned to steal the truck while officers responded to the bomb threat he had called in.

The Connecticut State Police bomb squad responded to the scene of the threat and determined there was no bomb, police said.

Esposito was also charged with carrying a firearm without a valid permit and misdemeanor theft.

He was released on bond and is scheduled to appear July 12 in the Milford Superior Court.