Former Brooklyn classmate says Caribbean murder suspect was stalking her on Facebook

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BROOKLYN -- The 27-year-old woman was nervous when she called PIX11 and didn’t want her name used. She’s a married mother of two children and told us she attended the Hanson Place Seventh Day Adventist School in Brooklyn in 2001.

She sat next to classmate, Veron Primus, in the 7th grade. He was a Caribbean immigrant. Another classmate was Chanel Petro Nixon, who was killed in 2006.

“Every guy liked her,” the woman said of Petro Nixon this week. “She had an elegant style, natural beauty. She was very smart.”

Primus, now 29, is the main ‘person of interest’ in the unsolved strangulation of Petro Nixon nearly 10 years ago.

The honors student was just 16, when her body was found — folded over in a fetal position — in a garbage bag on Kingston Avenue on June 22, 2006.

Petro Nixon had disappeared on Father’s Day 2006. She was missing four days, before a sanitation worker and Kingston Avenue resident made the brutal discovery.

The former classmate told PIX11 that Primus contacted her in 2008, two years after Petro Nixon was killed.

They got together.

“I mentioned her funeral to him,” the woman recalled. “He didn’t answer me. He just stared at me.”

Petro Nixon had told her mother and best friend she was going to meet Primus on that Father’s Day — to submit job applications at the Applebee’s restaurant on Fulton Street.

Primus later told Petro Nixon's family and friends that she never showed up.

The woman told PIX11 Primus had anger issues in school but was still popular.

“He was very tall, he was handsome, he knows how to speak to girls, he knows how to get attention,” the former classmate said. “He attracted women.”

The woman said she hung around with Primus for about a month in 2008, when she was 19, until an incident at the Broadway Junction subway station near Fulton Street.

She said she wanted to get the “A” train to go home.

“And he said, ‘No, you can’t leave,’ and he grabbed my arm, and he wouldn’t let me go, “ the woman remembered. “And I screamed, and he started to twist my arm, and he looked around, then he looked at me like he really wanted to hurt me.”

When PIX11 asked what she meant, the woman replied, “like choke me.”

“And when I screamed, he let go, and I went on the train.”

The woman told PIX11 she never saw Primus again, and she never knew that he’d been accused (and acquitted) of rape in the years that followed—or that he went to state prison for violating an ‘order of protection’ secured by an ex-girlfriend.

“He contacted me in August 2015; he called me on Whatsapp,” the woman said. “He asked me where I was, what was I doing, how many kids do I have, was I married, where do I live?”

“And then he started to tell me I was supposed to be married to him and those were supposed to be his kids.”

Primus told his former classmate he was living on St. Vincent, but he didn’t tell her he had been deported there, after completing state prison time in New York.

“He asked me if I’d ever visit St. Vincent,” the woman said.

Police in St. Vincent and the Grenadines say in the months that followed, Primus allegedly killed a real estate agent on the island in November, stabbing her 15 times.

He’s also been accused of taking ex-girlfriend, Mewanah Hadaway, captive on January 1st, 2016.

Hadaway told PIX11 he kept her locked in a room and repeatedly assaulted her, until she came up with a plan to leave a note inside a box of insulin that was stashed in the refrigerator.

Hadaway was rescued by police on April 15.

“The last time he messaged me was February 25, 2016,” the New York woman recalled. “He said, ‘I need to check up on you and know that you’re okay.’ That girl he had was secluded in the place, while he was talking to me.”

The young mom is frightened now to hear of Primus’ arrest for murder and kidnapping on St. Vincent. The NYPD’s “Cold Case” squad is also reviewing many other unsolved cases involving women, during the period when Primus was living in Brooklyn.

“There’s something about him that scared me,” the woman told PIX11, “when I looked into his eyes. There’s something very cold about him.”

When PIX11 tried to reach Primus’ defense attorney during our time on St. Vincent, our calls weren’t answered.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.