HUNTINGTON STATION, New York – A carbon monoxide leak shut down a Panera Bread restaurant in Huntington Station Wednesday morning, sending employees to the hospital for treatment.
The leak originated at a construction site that was once Legal Sea Foods inside the Walt Whitman Mall, according to a Panera spokeswoman.
Police evacuated 10 people from the restaurant. Seven were treated at the scene before being taken to Huntington Hospital for a full evaluation.
An investigation by the Huntington Manor Fire Department revealed the source of the leak – a piece of machinery that emits exhaust.
“The safety and well-being of our Panera Bread guests and staff is our top priority,” the spokeswoman said. “We applaud the quick response from the Huntington Manor Police and Fire Departments.”
Legal Seafoods was the scene of a fatal carbon monoxide poisoning two years ago during which one man died and multiple people were hospitalized, including three police officers. The piece of machinery behind Thursday’s leak was not responsible for the 2014 fatality.