SEE IT: E-cigarette explodes in man’s pocket, sending fire shooting from pant leg

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OWENSBORO, KY – A Kentucky man is recovering from severe burns after his electronic cigarette exploded in his pocket, lighting his pants on fire over the weekend.

Surveillance cameras inside an Owensboro Shell Gas Station recorded Josh Hamilton as he stood in line, waiting to pay.  Suddenly, a ball of flame erupted from his right thigh, spitting sparks as he ran outside.

“I was shocked! I was like what was that?” employee Minaj Kumar told WFIE.  “You have a bomb in your pocket? I was like that! You carry your bomb in your pocket? I was totally shocked and just like this my hands were on my head.”

As Hamilton tried to rip his pants off, Kumar rushed to the rescue – extinguishing the blaze with a store fire extinguisher.

Hamilton suffered second degree burns to his leg and another customer drove him to an area hospital for treatment.

AlertMe
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.