Light jail time for Rikers officers involved in assault that partially blinded inmate

Posted at 6:37 PM, Jan 20, 2016
and last updated 2016-01-20 18:37:19-05

NEW YORK – Former Correction Officer, Victor Rodman—who was convicted of assaulting a Rikers Island inmate and then trying to cover it up—received very light jail time from a Bronx judge Wednesday, even though Rodman’s punch to the prisoner’s face left the man with permanent loss of vision in one eye and a broken nose.

The 53-year old Rodman—who had joined the Department of Corrections in 1987–received 90 days in jail, which he can serve on weekends, when he was sentenced by Bronx Supreme Court Judge Martin Marcus on Wednesday.

He must also perform 250 hours of community service.

Rodman had resigned from Corrections, after he was indicted for the 2009 assault.

Rikers surveillance

A female Correction Officer, Michelle Hubert–who was working at the control center between two housing units at Rikers on the night of the attack—was convicted of falsifying business records.

She received a three year conditional discharge and was ordered to perform 200 hours of community service.

She won’t be going to jail.

Prosecutors presented evidence at the non-jury trial, presided over by Judge Marcus, showing that on the night of July 8, 2009, Officer Victor Rodman went to visit Officer Michelle Hubert at the “bubble”—the control center in Building 19 on Rikers.

When a fight broke out between inmate Carlos Sanchez and another prisoner, Sanchez found himself alone in the vestibule area of the building with Officer Rodman.  Rodman was convicted of hitting Sanchez once in the face, causing a broken nose and permanent loss of vision in Sanchez’ left eye.

The two officers were convicted of trying to cover up the assault by saying Officer Rodman was never in the building.  But surveillance video showed Rodman walking in the hallway around the time of the attack.  In the photos secured by PIX 11, you can see former Officer Rodman—wearing a grey shirt—on the left side of the hallway.  Eyewitness testimony also contradicted what Officer Hubert wrote in her report of the incident.