All five teens charged in gang rape of 18-year-old woman at Brooklyn playground: NYPD

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – The fifth and final teenage suspect in the gang rape of an 18-year-old at a Brooklyn park has been charged, police said late Tuesday.

Travis Beckford, 17, faces rape, forcible compulsion, criminal sex act and sex abuse charges after being arrested at his Brooklyn high school in the morning, according to the NYPD. Beckford, who awaits arraignment, will also be prosecuted as an adult.

Police, not the victim or her father, identified the other suspects in the case as 14-year-old Denzel Murray, 15-year-olds Shaquell Cooper and Ethan Phillip, and 17-year-old Onandi Brown. Authorities released surveillance video of the group inside a bodega before the assault happened.

That video was seen by two of the boys' parents who turned in their children, Cooper and Phillip, to police, according to police sources. The other two suspects were apprehended by officers.

Earlier in the four teens' arraignment on Tuesday night, prosecutors said the victim and her father were drinking together in Osborn Park in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn Thursday night when they were approached by the five suspects. One pulled out a handgun and ordered the father to leave before attacking her, they said.

One of the defense attorneys said the NYPD has video that can exonerate the five teens and which shows the situation was not rape. He said the victim is seen on tape "partially clothed laughing and smiling." Another defense lawyer questioned the relationship between the victim and her father.

NYPD chief Robert Boyce said the claim the accuser was having sex with her father only came from two of the suspects.  He said the victim had physical injuries and was traumatized when she was at Kings County Hospital the night of her attack. Boyce said the results of their rape kit are not in yet.

As of Tuesday, no gun has been recovered. And only the victims have reported a gun being used in the incident, according to Boyce.

The criminal complaint shows Cooper will be held in lieu of $50,000, Brown at $25,000, Philip at $10,000 and Murray at $10,000. Teens will be back on court on January 15.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.