Toddler dies after eating lithium battery two days after Christmas

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Brianna Florer died several days after her family says she ingested a lithium battery (GoFundMe)

Brianna Florer died several days after her family says she ingested a lithium battery (GoFundMe)

TULSA, Okla. – Two days after Christmas, tragedy struck a Tulsa family after a 2-year-old girl swallowed a coin-sized battery, according to reports.

Brianna Florer was fine that Saturday, according to her grandfather Kent Vice, who told The Oklahoman “It was a perfect Christmas.”  Shortly after, however, the blond tot began developing signs that something was wrong – Florer soon had a fever and began throwing up.

By late Sunday, the little girl was vomiting blood and her skin took on a bluish hue.  Concerned, her parents Brian and Stephanie, drove Brianna from their rural home to meet an ambulance.

While on the way, she threw up a “massive amount of blood” Vice said.

Paramedics rushed her to the emergency room at St. Francis Hospital in Tulsa where she went into surgery.

After two and a half hours, doctors couldn’t quell the bleeding and Brianna was pronounced dead.

“They believed the battery ate through to her carotid artery by way of her esophagus,” Vice said.  “One minute she is perfect, and the next minute she is dead . . . we had no idea when she swallowed it (the battery).”

It’s not clear what the official cause of death is pending an autopsy by the medical examiner.

For those interested in donating to the family’s funeral expenses, click here.