Caught on camera: Hoverboard explodes in busy Texas mall

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HOUSTON, Texas – A hoverboard burst into flames at a Texas mall Monday, forcing an evacuation as smoke billowed from the two-wheeled scooter that has skyrocketed to the top of holiday gift lists and has been at the center of more than dozen fires nationwide, CNN affiliate KPRC reports.

It happened at a crowded Deerbrook Mall and was caught on camera by shocked shoppers.

A security guard used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames, but not before smoke filled the first floor of the mall. The Victoria’s Secret next door from the site of the fire was shut down for the night.

The board that caught fire was being sold at a kiosk vender Excel Toys and Boards.

Witness David Miller saw the aftermath.

“You could see the stain on the floor that they were trying to buff out but they couldn't buff it out,” he told KPRC.

In a statement to KPRC, a mall spokesperson said:

"This afternoon there was an incident with a hoverboard at Deerbrook Mall which resulted in a small fire that was quickly contained. As a precaution the Humble Fire Department responded. Thankfully there were no injuries or property damage. Deerbrook Mall remains open at this time."

According to the station, the mall has not decided whether to continue to allow the sale of hoverboards.

It’s not the first time the toy – one of the year’s most sought-after gadgets – has caught fire. Over the weekend, a hoveboard burst into flames in a New Jersey home while it was charging. Most all of the fires associated with hoverboards have begun while the devices were plugged in, officials said.

Earlier this month, a hoverboard torched a living room in Westchester, N.Y., after it was left plugged in to charge. The brand of hoverboard was identified as Swagway. In another instance, days before Thanksgiving, a family in Louisiana lost their home due to an exploding hoverboard.

There have been so many reports of fires associated with the devices that Amazon has pulled certain brands of the toy from its website pending a safety review. They’ve been banned outright in New York City.