Grieving mother alleges hospital refused to let her see son after he died

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FAR ROCKAWAY, Queens — Lillian Rivera says staff at St. John's Episcopal Hospital made grieving her son's death even worse when they allegedly refused to let her see him.

Isaac Borges passed away Monday evening after suffering a traumatic brain injury after a car accident in 2002, and  was in several hospitals and rehab centers since.

Recently he was being cared for at a rehabilitation center until doctors say he went into cardiac arrest and he was rushed to St. John's Episcopal.

"When I get to the hospital, I said I need to speak with the doctor," said Rivera. "I need to see my son but they said the doctor wasn't there and they did not have staff in that area."

"That's the cruelest thing that anyone, especially a mother, would have to be subjected to, where even though your son dies, you can't even see him," she said.

Rivera said her son's condition deteriorated in Thanksgiving when she went to visit him.

"He was swollen, sores on him and I knew something was wrong," Rivera said.

The hospital released this statement.

"Mr. Borges arrived at St. John's from Resort Nursing Home at 5:25 PM on 12/21/2015 in cardiac arrest.  He went through triage at 5:36 p.m. After attempts at resuscitation failed, he was declared deceased at 5:44 p.m."

The patient's designated relative, Lillian Rivera, was contacted and notified.

Rivera believes something went wrong and the hospital is not giving her valid information. She did finally get to see her son.

"I don't want any other person, any other mother, to go through what I went through," Rivers said.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.