Boston College students treated after eating at Chipotle

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BOSTON — Boston College says several of its students, including members of the men’s basketball team, complained of gastrointestinal symptoms after eating at a Chipotle restaurant in Boston.

The college, in a statement, said it had notified the state Department of Public Health, which is trying to determine if it is part of an ongoing national outbreak of e-coli that has been linked to the Chipotle chain.

A spokesman for the state agency said it appeared that more than 20 students were sickened, but it had not yet determined the cause of the illnesses.

A manager at the Chipotle’s in the Cleveland Circle neighborhood referred questions to a spokesman for the chain’s national headquarters, who did not immediately return a message.

Chipotle has said it planned to tighten its food standards.