Pregnant mom beat 2-year-old daughter to death when she refused to eat her lunch: prosecutor

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Jazmine Jones, 18, was charged with child endangerment in the death of her 2-year-old daughter.

Jazmine Jones, 18, was charged with child endangerment in the death of her 2-year-old daughter.

CHICAGO — An 18-year-old pregnant woman has been charged with child endangerment after authorities say she beat her toddler daughter so badly because “she wouldn’t eat her lunch” that she died over Thanksgiving weekend.

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, Jazmine Jones punched 2-year-old Elliana Claiborne multiple times in the stomach and buttocks on Nov. 28.

Assistant Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Przekota said Jones then left the child at the Englewood home she shared with her boyfriend to go buy marijuana. Jones’ boyfriend, who was playing video games at the time, said the blows would have “knocked the wind” out of him, Przekota continued. The boyfriend is not the biological father of the child, officials say.

Jones later admitted to authorities that she hit the child because she wouldn’t eat her noodles. When Jones returned home, Przekota says Jones gave Elliana laxatives because she was complaining about stomach pain and couldn’t use the bathroom.

Przekota say that later in the evening, the boyfriend checked on the child when she tumbled down the stairs. She appeared to be fine, but the boyfriend’s mother suggested he take her to the hospital. Instead, he put the child to bed who later woke up and threw up a “greenish liquid.”

The next morning, a family member went to wake the child and found that she had soiled herself and was “cold and stiff,” Przekota said. The boyfriend and Jones then took Elliana to St. Bernard Hospital where she was pronounced deceased.

According to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office, Elliana died of multiple blunt force trauma, specifically injuries caused by a direct blow to the abdomen, not by a fall down the stairs or an accident, Przekota said.

Last year, the child was taken away by the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services after Jones reportedly threw her off a balcony. The baby survived after landing on snow-covered cement. It was not clear why the child was returned to the mother after the incident.

DCFS officials are investigating both biological parents.

Jones is being held on $1 million bail.