State probe faults Con Ed in East Harlem blast investigation

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW YORK — A state report says Consolidated Edison violated state safety regulations in connection to a 2014 East Harlem blast that killed eight people and hurt dozens more.

The New York State Public Service Commission says the March 12, 2014 explosion happened because a gas pipe that wasn't adequately protected at a certain joint gave way under stress from eroding soil underneath it and road asphalt above it.

The commission directed Con Ed to respond to the report within 30 days and says it could pursue financial penalties.

Con Ed says it will respond. It says the source of the leak that led to the explosion was a cracked fitting that had been damaged in the wake of a pre-existing sewer breach.