Person of interest in fatal subway shooting taken in to custody at Bronx hospital: NYPD

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

THE BRONX – Days after an argument at a midtown McDonald’s set off a deadly chain of events that culminated in a subway shooting near Penn Station, a person of interest in the case checked himself in to a Bronx hospital and was taken into custody, police said Thursday.

Vincent Arcona, 27, walked into Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center seeking a psychiatric evaluation and gave a false name, officials said. Hospital workers recognized him from wanted posters and called police who took Arcona into custody without incident.

He was named Tuesday as a person of interest in the shooting that shut down a major artery in Manhattan, killed a man and hurt two others.

It began about 6:15 a.m. Monday at the McDonald’s near 35th Street and Eighth Avenue, a block north of Penn Station, police said.

A group of people was drinking coffee inside the McDonald's when a man came in and spoke briefly with them, Chief Robert Boyce said in a news conference Monday, hours after the crime occurred. Because of how short their conversation was, investigators do not believe the shooter knew the victims, Boyce said.

Soon after, the group left the restaurant and went into the subway — of their own volition — and that's when shots rang out, Boyce said. The shooter followed the group into the subway station that services the A, C and E lines and a total of four rounds were fired from what appears to be a 9 mm weapon, he said.

No cameras were monitoring the portion of the subway station where the shooting occurred, Boyce said.

A 43-year-old man was shot in the neck and pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

Two other men were struck by bullets: a 45-year-old was hit in the neck and abdomen, and a 48-year-old was shot in the leg. The younger of the two was taken to a hospital in critical condition; the other was listed in stable condition, police said.