PIX11 NEWS JOINS THE FIGHT AGAINST BREAST CANCER OCTOBER 21
PIX11 helping women obtain free mammograms and breast exams on October 21, available to all women, insured or uninsured.
Each year in New York, almost 15,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer and almost 2,700 women die from the disease. In New Jersey, More than 7,000 women are diagnosed and nearly 1,300 women die from the disease each year.
New York, NY – On Wednesday, October 21, PIX11 News joins the fight against breast cancer with a series of segments and live broadcasts throughout the day. PIX11 is also facilitating free mammograms and free breast exams in Brooklyn and Newark for women of all ages. Lisa Mateo will report live at 7am & 8am. Tamsen Fadal will anchor live at 5pm & 6pm.
FREE MAMMOGRAMS (BROOKLYN)
7am-2pm: Community HealthCare Network (1167 Nostrand Ave)
3pm-6:30pm: Barclays Center (620 Atlantic Ave)
● PIX11 News has partnered with Project Renewal to provide free mammograms. Project Renewal’s ScanVan and Breast Treatment Task Force will be giving free mammograms and breast exams all day long. ScanVan is the country’s first mobile mammography clinic for NYC low income women. Breast Treatment Task Force provides funding for breast screening and education, diagnostic follow-up, and treatment for NYC patients without health insurance. Brooklyn Council Member Laurie Cumbo will also join the PIX11 News at 5pm. If you want to help uninsured and low-income women access free mammograms by donating to the Project Renewal ScanVan crowdfunding campaign at www.crowdrise.com/breastcancerawarenes9
● Miss USA Olivia Jordan, ScanVan CEO Mary Solomon and BTTF board member Chantel Febus, will join the PIX11 Morning News.
● Brooklyn Nets forward, Thaddeus Young, will be joining PIX11’s Tamsen Fadal on the PIX11 News at 5pm. He recently lost his mother to breast cancer.
● Dr. Rachel Wellner, breast surgeon and clinical assistant professor at Montefiore Medical Center, will also be on site at Barclays Center to answer questions and teach women how to do a proper self-breast exam. She will be joined by Gretchen Cotnoir, of 4 Billion Strong, a nonprofit that provides feminine products to women in need. Dr. Wellner will also be available during a live web-chat from 6:30-7pm to answer viewers’ questions.
● Susan G. Komen Greater NYC CEO Linda Tantawi and SHARE Cancer Support will be at Barclays Center as a resource for women and giving away “pink” goodies. SHARE offers support for women with breast cancer, metastatic breast cancer and ovarian cancer.
FREE BREAST EXAMS (NEWARK)
3pm-7pm: Newark City Hall (920 Broad Street)
PIX11 has also partnered with St. Michael’s Medical Center to provide free breast exams. PIX11’s Narmeen Choudhury will be reporting live from Newark during the PIX11 News at 5pm & 6pm. She will be joined by Newark Department of Health and Community Wellness and Susan G. Komen North Jersey.
● Real Housewives of New Jersey star, Amber Marchese, will also be appearing in Newark on the PIX11 Evening News. She is a two-time Breast Cancer survivor.
● St. Michael’s Medical Center’s “In the Pink” program will perform free clinical breast exams to uninsured women from 3-7pm (Screenings are first come first serve) Women who come to event but can’t be screened will still be entered into the St. Michael’s system and be given an appointment at another time. Women needing a follow-up mammogram will be given a voucher for a free mammogram.
As part of the day’s coverage, PIX11 News will run a follow-up story on Star Lopez, a BRCA1 gene patient whom we profiled in 2014 as she prepared and went in for a preventative double mastectomy. We show the lingering physical, emotional and financial problems that come with this disease. PIX11 will also profile Modern Family star, Sarah Hyland’s mom, who is a breast cancer survivor, two women who highlight the benefits to finding support while battling the disease and the latest advancements and current focus of Breast Cancer Research with Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center’s Dr. Larry Norton the Deputy Physician-in-Chief for Breast Cancer Programs at the Evelyn H. Lauder Breast Center.
PIX11 has additional coverage online at www.pix11.com/breastcancer
Follow socially #BCAMPIX and #PIX11Cares
“Breast cancer affects us all. PIX 11 wants to help educate women and their families about this disease and offer free screenings, giving ALL women a chance at early detection, regardless of means,” said Rich Graziano, President/GM, PIX11.
Founded in 1948 and owned by Tribune Broadcasting, a division of Tribune Media, WPIX-TV (PIX11) has long been regarded as a groundbreaking station in New York. In 2006, PIX11 became the flagship station of the CW Television Network and PIX11’s award winning news, successful primetime programming, off-network sitcom favorites, public affairs shows and outstanding event coverage have contributed to the station’s success. The station has been honored with numerous awards for excellence, including over 300 Emmy® Awards (two for Outstanding Morning News Program and multiple Awards for Outstanding Newscast.) PIX11 also has a long history of local sports coverage and in 2015 became the broadcast home of the New York Yankees. PIX11 is also the broadcast station of the New York Mets, since 1999. In 2014, PIX11 announced a long-term, exclusive content and marketing partnership with the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. PIX11 is also home to the New Jersey Lottery drawings. PIX11 engages with audiences across multiple social platforms; find us on Facebook at facebook.com/pix11news, on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Periscope: @pix11news. For more information visit http://www.pix11.com.