The United States will make “condolence payments” to the wounded victims and the families of 22 people killed in the airstrike against a Doctors Without Borders hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan, last week, Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook announced Saturday.
The amount of the payments has not been determined, Cook said.
“If necessary and appropriate, the administration will seek additional authority from the Congress,” he said, adding that the payments will go to “civilian non-combatants injured and the families of civilian non-combatants killed as a result of U.S. military operations.”
Earlier this week, U.S. President Barack Obama called and apologized to the head of Doctors Without Borders, whose staff and patients were killed and injured. The attack in the embattled city October 3 killed 12 medical staff members and at least 10 patients, three of them children.
Another 37 people were wounded, according to the global charity group, which works in conflict zones to help victims of war and other tragedies.
Gen. John Campbell, commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, has said the hospital was hit accidentally during an American airstrike. The Pentagon is carrying out an investigation, as are NATO and Afghanistan.
The charity group — which is also known as Medecins Sans Frontieres, or MSF, and provides medical care in some of the world’s most dangerous places — is calling the strike an “attack on the Geneva Conventions.”
Doctors Without Borders said it wants a full and transparent investigation by an independent agency.