Dogs poisoned in Prospect Park, possibly by human poop

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
A dog named Sheba runs out of a duck pond in Prospect Park, where several canines have fallen ill, possibly after ingesting human feces tainted with narcotics. (Photo by Daniel Barry/Getty Images)

A dog named Sheba runs out of a duck pond in Prospect Park, where several canines have fallen ill, possibly after ingesting human feces tainted with narcotics. (Photo by Daniel Barry/Getty Images)

Several Brooklyn dogs have fallen seriously sick with narcotics poisoning after visiting Prospect Park in recent weeks — possibly after eating drug-tainted excrement left behind by local druggies, says one Brooklyn dog lover, The Brooklyn Paper reports.

“That narcotics users are ‘taking dumps in the park’ that are subsequently munched on by dogs is a pretty easy conclusion to reach, especially since vets are identifying the agent as a narcotic,” Garry Osgood, the president of park dog-advocacy organization Fido, wrote in a post on the group’s Facebook page warning other mutt owners about the rash of poisonings.

The first dog got doped-up following a visit to the Nethermead section of the park — which is in the middle of the green space between Windsor Terrace and Prospect Lefferts Gardens — on Sept. 18, Osgood said. The pooch became disoriented and incapable of standing up straight so its owner rushed the pet to an area vet, who thankfully saved the pooch and diagnosed its ailment as a possible narcotic poisoning via ingestion.

Then on Oct. 2, another hound was playing in the Nethermead when it suddenly collapsed and began struggling to breathe, said Osgood. Its owner also dashed the pup to a nearby vet and it mercifully lived to bark another day — but only after receiving the same diagnosis: ingesting deadly narcotics.

But drug-laced human feces is just one possible culprit for screwing the pooches’ stomachs, said Osgood — the dogs could have rooted through a trash can and gobbled up some tainted chewing gum or chocolate.

The Brooklyn Paper is a content partner with PIX11. Check out their website to catch up on Brooklyn news. Click here to read the full story.

AlertMe
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.