Fresno man saves family from fire, then his ribs

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FRESNO, Calif. – When the apartment next to his burst into flames, this man acted fast to save his kids, and then his ribs.

According to KMPH, when a fire broke out 3 a.m. Tuesday, a mother and her 6-year-old son escaped through the back window. They were taken to the hospital after breathing in smoke.

Robert Wright, a neighbor, recounted the moment he rescued his family and then rescued what he was cooking.

Wright explained he got hungry late at night and decided to make ribs and hot links: “I take pride in what I do, man. It’s like 3 o’clock in the morning. I was hungry man. I was like, ‘Put them ribs on there, man.’ Some hot links and stuff, man, we got it going and stuff.”

“First thing I got my kids, then I thought about my ribs, like I don’t want to let my ribs burn,” Wright told KMPH.

When asked if he suffered any injuries, Wright seemed to be light-hearted about inhaling smoke.

“I don’t have any injuries – except for the smoke in my lungs, but I already got smoke in my lungs, so I’m alright,” Wright said.

The video uploaded to YouTube by KMPH has since amassed nearly half a million views as of Thursday.