One New York soccer fan got a big surprise today. NYCFC player Khiry Shelton hand delivered tickets to a man’s home.
His name is Noe Valdovinos and he’s a retired Marine.
It’s all part of the clubs ‘Tickets for Troops’ initiative.
This weekend’s game is also Military Appreciation Night where several other veterans and their families will be recognized and rewarded.
“Having Khiry come to my house is honestly one of the most fantastic things for not only myself but I’m sure anyone can dream of if you’re a fan of soccer,” Valdovinos said. “Knowing that Khiry Shelton’s father was in the service as well and that he was able to do this for us, it really lets me know that they do care.”
NYCFC takes on the Columbus Crew at Yankee Stadium this Saturday at 4pm.
Here are further details about the Tickets for Troops initiative:
- To celebrate Military Appreciation Night on Saturday, August 29th 2015, New York City FC is recognizing and rewarding our heroes and their families at Yankee Stadium with the Tickets for Troops.
- Tickets for Troops is a program where local companies and organizations can purchase a package of tickets to donate to our troops.
- Current season ticket holders, local companies and even our supporters clubs have participated. Those who purchased these packages will be recognized at the game on the video boards during halftime.
- NYCFC had a resounding response and expect to have 1,300-1,500 complimentary tickets available for active troops, veterans and their families on Saturday
- Tickets are made available for military members through a variety of channels, including Veterans Tickets Foundation, Wounded Warriors, the USO in New York and West Point, among others.