FDNY lieutenant shot in Staten Island stand-off released from hospital

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MARINERS HARBOR, Staten Island — A fire department lieutenant who was shot twice by a reputed gang member during to start an hours-long standoff has been released from the hospital Saturday, one day after the dangerous encounter in Staten Island.

Lt. James Hayes on Friday became the first FDNY member in 21 years to be shot on the job, department officials said.

Dozens of people gathered to see Lt. Hayes leave the hospital. (FDNY)

Dozens of people gathered to see Lt. Hayes leave the hospital. (FDNY)

Hayes, 53, was called to a home on Destiny Court by U.S. Marshals who were there to serve a federal probation warrant to Garland Tyree.

Police said Tyree refused to let officers inside so they gained access using a key from Tyree's neighbor. When they went inside they noticed smoke -- later blamed on a smoke grenade set off by the suspect -- and called firefighters.

Hayes spoke briefly with the 38-year-old Tyree then the suspect went silent, NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said Friday afternoon. Thinking perhaps the man become unconscious from the smoke filling his apartment, Hayes went inside and was shot twice in his lower body, Boyce said.

That sparked a standoff between Tyree, a reputed member of the Bloods gang, and armed SWAT teams that ended shortly before noon when the suspect came out of his home armed with a weapon and was shot dead.

A father of two and 31-year veteran of the FDNY, Hayes comes from a family of firefighters, being one of three brothers currently active on the force, officials said.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.