Shooter in critical condition after being shot by police during protest in Ferguson

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FERGUSON, Mo. –A man who opened fire on officers in Ferguson, Missouri is in “critical, unstable” condition after being struck when the officer returned fire, according to police.

There were at least two shootings in Ferguson. One of them was a police-involved.

St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said at a early Monday news conference that plainclothes officers had been tracking the shooter who they believed was armed, during a protest marking the anniversary of the death of 18-year-old Michael Brown.

Belmar said the man approached the officers, who were in an unmarked police car and opened fire. The officers returned fire from inside the vehicle. They then pursued the man on foot.

The chief says the man again fired on the officers. All four fired back.

The four plainclothes officers who were involved in the shooting have between six to 12 years of experience, he said. They have been placed on administrative leave. Asked about the officers’ race, Belmar said “I am not going to comment.”

The man was taken to a hospital, where Belmar said he was in surgery. The man was not immediately identified.

During the gunfire, at least two unmarked cars took shots.

PIX11’s Jay Dow and Kenton Young were near the scene where the shooting happened.

View this post on Instagram

Shots fired! #Ferguson

A post shared by Kenton Young (@kentonyng) on

Tensions were visibly on the rise as protesters were in a standoff with heavily armed police officers.

WARNING: Graphic language was used in videos below.

View this post on Instagram

#happeningnow @pix11news

A post shared by Kenton Young (@kentonyng) on

View this post on Instagram

Live on the line @pix11news @jaydowtv

A post shared by Kenton Young (@kentonyng) on

Brown’s killing by officer Darren Wilson sparked outrage and protests nationwide against police brutality.

Hours before the gunfire, residents marked the first anniversary of the killing with peaceful marches and a moment of silence.

Associated Press contributed to this report.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.