News

Actions

Search resumes for missing swimmer off Sandy Hook beach

Posted: 8:47 AM, Aug 06, 2015
Updated: 2015-08-06 08:49:36-04

SANDY HOOK, N.J. — The search has resumed Thursday for a swimmer who vanished off Sandy Hook.

The 25-year-old was seen in distress in the water around 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Gateway National Recreation Area spokeswoman Daphne Yun said.

Authorities spent hours looking for the man before suspending the search.

Yun said there had been two groups of swimmers in the water without the supervision of lifeguards. Guards are on duty from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.