Boil advisories remain in effect for parts of New Jersey after crane collapse

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CLIFFSIDE PARK, N.J. – Crews are working to remove a massive construction crane that fell from a support in Cliffside Park, New Jersey Wednesday morning, breaking a water main that flooded streets, closed roads and prompted a boil water advisory.

The incident happened at approximately 8 a.m. on the corner of Anderson Avenue and Grant Avenue.

The concern is that power and water be shut off for another day in order to move the crane.

United Water emergency crews were immediately targeted the break and isolated the 24-inch water main within two hours.

Electricity will be cut to a five block area once the crane is ready to be moved, from Grant Avenue to Lincoln Avenue along Anderson Avenue.

The crane, being used as part of a redevelopment project, was being moved when it fell and crushed tje pipe.

Businesses and home were flooded, created traffic issues and nightmares.

Water was shut off to hundreds of homes and businesses.

United Water is laying temporary lines to restore water service but the problem is water.

The 12-inch main is still working, but one of the crane tracks is right above the line so all precautions are being taken to make sure that main is not broken.

A boil water advisory has been issued by United Water for Cliffside Park, Englewood Cliffs and Fort Lee.

Residents should boil their water for at least one minute for drinking, cooking, baking, brushing teeth, washing food and all other consumption.

Water does not have to be boiled for showering, washing dishes or clothes.

One of the things officials are concerned about is because of the weight of the crane if they start to move it we'll do additional damage to utilities that are under the ground.

Bergen County Executive Jim Tedesco will be having a press conference later at 7 a.m. Thursday.

A big question is, did the crane company realize the road couldn't handle the weight of the 600,00 pound crane.

County and city leaders would only say that's under investigation and their focus now is to safely get the crane out of the way.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.