The Mets take on the Detroit Tigers at Citi Field on PIX11

How did Raynette Turner die? Mount Vernon mayor asks for patience amid state investigation

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MOUNT VERNON - More than a week after the death of 42-year-old Raynette Turner, there are still more questions than answers.

Turner was found dead in a holding cell Monday, July 27 after she was held over the weekend on a shoplifting charge.

However, during a news conference Mount Vernon Mayor Ernest Davis asked the public for patience.

Davis said,"This incident is a rarity. From day one, we have been open and transparent about the unfortunate death of Raynette Turner."

The city's attorney clarified the previously-released information about Turner having three shoplifting arrests leading up to her last one. The attorney said Turner had two incidents with police on July 25 and a larceny incident the following day -- but we was not arrested on the last one.

Lauren Raysor sat down with PIX11 exclusively and added that no details of the investigation will be released before the final report by the state.

"Until this investigation is concluded, we cannot draw conclusions about anybody," Raysor said.

Raysor also said a consultant has joined the team of investigators to get answers.

Turner's funeral is set for Friday. The mayor said a local church is helping to make sure her eight children's scholastic needs are met.

Attorney General Eric Schneiderman is investigating the case as part of Gov. Andrew Cuomo's executive order to have a special prosecutor investigate deaths that occur under the custody of law enforcement.

Turners funeral is scheduled for Friday.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.