Brooklyn community leaders display open coffin in wake of violent weekend

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DOWNTOWN BROOKLYN — Community leaders outraged by a rash of shootings over the weekend, demanded the city allocate $10M in emergency funding for programs to get guns off the streets.

“Innocent people should not die, all lives matter,” said Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams.

Adams along with Brooklyn Councilman Jumaane Williams and community activists gathered outside Borough Hall Monday, near an open casket displaying photos of past shooting victims.

“The temperature rise cannot cause a rise in gun violence,” Adams said.

The de Blasio administration said the City Council has already allocated $18M to programs in high crime neighborhoods.

Adams said that funding is not enough.

Three people were killed and 17 people were wounded in shootings across the city this weekend.

The burst of violence came after several days of calm citywide. Since June, the NYPD’s sent additional officers to the most violent areas in the city to get a handle on shootings.

Despite the increased patrols, nine people were shot and wounded at a backyard party in East New York. Shootings and homicides are also up in that neighborhood.

Mayor Bill de Blasio has been silent about this weekend’s rash of violence.

Last year on August 2, there were 674 shootings compared to 669 this year.