Man racks up $150K hospital bill after bitten by rattlesnake during selfie attempt

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — A California man was hit with a $150,000 hospital bill over the 4th of July weekend after he was bitten by the rattlesnake he was trying to pose for a picture with.

“He literally paralyzed my whole body,” Todd Fassler told KGTV. “My tounge was sticking out. My eyes were off to the side.”

The near-deadly selfie attempt caused doctors to deplete the anti-venom stash at two different hospitals to treat him, KGTV reported. The time and intricate process it takes to develop anti-venom, along with the scarcity of resources, explain why the life-saving potion is so expensive.

Each vial costs about $5,000, and it takes about 12 vials of anti-venom to treat an average snake bite, Dr. Richard Clark of the Poison Control Center said.

Fassler told the San Diego news station that he kept the snake as a pet for more than a year, but he set it free because he thinks “animal services would appreciate it.”

California sees about 100 rattlesnake bites every year, according to the University of San Diego.

AlertMe
Google Map for coordinates 32.715738 by -117.161084.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.