NORTH BRUNSWICK, N.J. — About 200 residents who were evacuated because of a large warehouse fire in central New Jersey are waiting to learn when they can return home.
Firefighters on Thursday continued to spray water on hot spots as white smoke rose from what remains of the building that housed several businesses, including a collision repair center and a plastics manufacturer.
The fire broke out early Wednesday and the flames quickly devoured the building in North Brunswick. It was 90 percent contained as of Thursday morning.
Residents of a nearby apartment building were ordered to leave after heat from the blaze set the siding on fire. Others were moved as a precaution over fears of potential toxins being released from burning plastic.
Officials monitoring the air quality say the smoke is an irritant, but they have not detected any environmental impact.
There is no word what sparked the inferno.