Practical joke ends with man stuck in chimney

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Phoenix, AZ (KTVK) — A 23-year-old man who got stuck in a chimney is recovering after firefighters used drills and a sledgehammer to free him.

Two of the man’s friends said they had locked him out of the house as a practical joke just before 3 a.m. Sunday. What happened next was no laughing matter for the victim of the trick.

A man was pulled from a chimney after a practical joke went awry. (Phoenix Fire Department)

A man was pulled from a chimney after a practical joke went awry. (Phoenix Fire Department)

The man decided the only way he was going to be able to get into the home was by going down the chimney of the home in the 5900 block of E. Spring Road, Phoenix firefighters said.

“This proved to be a bad decision and fortunately for him the Phoenix Fire Department Rescue crews are trained up to handle these types of confined space incidents,” a Phoenix Fire Department spokesman said.

After about 30 minutes of drilling and hammering, rescuers were able to free him.

Video shot by Phoenix firefighters showed the shirtless man covered in black soot.

He was taken to a nearby hospital to get checked out.