BROOKLYN, N.Y. -- An off-duty park worker is fighting for his life after he accidentally set himself on fire in Brooklyn Thursday, officials said.
Police said two men were sitting on a wall when one of them caught fire. He was in the middle of the street when fire crews arrived.
It happened about 1 a.m. in Fort Greene Park, officials said. The man, whose name has not been released, may have been trying to use gasoline to light incense when the combination ignited an explosion and flames engulfed him, according to A Walk in the Park, an advocacy blog that covers the New York City public parks and recreation system.
EMS told PIX11 News the victim suffered third-degree burns over 60 percent of his body. He was rushed to to a hospital where he remained in critical condition Thursday afternoon.
An investigation is underway.
PIX11 News' Jeff Crianza contributed to this report.