‘The nightmare is finally over’: Prison escapee David Sweat in police custody

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CONSTABLE, N.Y. —A massive, three-week manhunt for escaped murderer David Sweat came to an end Sunday afternoon.

"The nightmare is finally over," New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said during a press briefing about Sweat's capture.

According to New York State Police, Sgt. Jay Cook spotted a suspicious man walking down a roadway in the town of Constable around 3:20 p.m.

Cook called to Sweat to come over and talk to him, but Sweat ignored. When the officer, who was alone at the time, realized the suspicious man was Sweat, a chase began. Officials said the officer fired his gun when Sweat was getting close to a tree line, and could have disappeared.

Sweat was shot twice by Cook. He was taken to Alice Hyde Medical Center in Malone, where he is in stable condition.

"Now that we have Mr. Sweat, it gives us the opportunity to have some more questions and provide more facts on the overall situation," Governor Andrew Cuomo said in a press briefing Sunday afternoon. "Anyone who we find who was culpable and guilty of cooperating in the escape will be fully prosecuted."

New York State Police Superintendent Joseph A. D'Amico said Sweat was found a mile and a half from the Canadian border.

"I can only assume he was going for the border, that he was that close," D'Amico said.

David Sweat in police custody Sunday afternoon. (CNN)

David Sweat in police custody Sunday afternoon. (CNN)

No police officers were injured when Sweat was captured.

Sweat was incarcerated at the Clinton Correctional Facility in Dannemora for fatally shooting Broome County Sheriff's Deputy Kevin Tarsia. The officer was shot more than a dozen times and run over. He had been pursuing sweat for an attempted robbery.

Sweat escaped from the maximum-security prison with Richard Matt. Guards discovered the two were missing June 6 during a routine bed check.

Matt was shot and killed Friday by police after a stand-off just 16 miles from where police found Sweat.

During the search, police pursued more than 2,500 tips regarding Matt and Sweat.

More than 1,200 federal, state and local law enforcement officers spent weeks patrolling various towns in upstate New York.

Franklin County Sheriff Kevin Mulverhill said Sweat was bound to make a mistake after being on the run for three weeks.

"He's tired. He's fatigued. He's hungry," said Mulverhill.

Shortly after Sweat was captured, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives sent out a tweet telling New Yorkers to "sleep peacefully."

Constable is about 38 miles from Dannemora.