Senior Manhattan prosecutor chosen to retry man accused of killing Etan Patz

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW YORK — A senior Manhattan prosecutor has been chosen to retry the man accused of killing 6-year-old Etan Patz in 1979.

The New York Times reports the Manhattan district attorney’s office said Monday that Joel Seidemann will pick up the case from Joan Illuzzi. She stepped down last week to become the Republican nominee for Staten Island district attorney.

In 2012, Pedro Hernandez admitted killing Patz who disappeared while walking to school and whose body hasn’t been found.

Hernandez’s murder trial ended in a mistrial last month after jurors said they were deadlocked on the 18th day of deliberations. The defense had argued his confession was false.

It’s unclear when the second trial could start. Hernandez is scheduled to appear in court Wednesday for a scheduling conference.

AlertMe
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.