23,000-pound AC that snapped off crane was too heavy for building floors to support

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW YORK -- The mammoth 23,000-pound air conditioner that broke free from a crane and smashed into a midtown high-rise did more than just leave a gaping hole in the its facade.

The NYPD special operations team released photos that reveal the massive damage it did inside the building. The cooling unit was too heavy for the building’s floor to support, which caused it to bounce from the 29th to 11th floor.

Ten people were injured in the accident, including two traffic agents and a firefighter.

Department of Buildings Commissioner Rick Chandler said the crane was in working condition at the time of the accident.

The crane was being operated by Greenpoint-based Skylift Contractor Corp but is owned by Queens-based Bay Crane, which have previously been rocked by scandal.

The buildings department cited a Skylift crane operator after he failed to secure a crane owned by bay crane, causing it to collapse at a financial district construction site in the middle of the night.

Investigators are examining all open and active crane rigging work being done by both companies, sources said.

Construction is booming city wide with around 300 cranes operating on any given day.

 Sunday’s crane accident happened five years to the day a crane collapsed on the Upper East Side, killing two construction workers.

The incident raises serious concerns about safety.

 “Thank God there’ve only been a few incidents with cranes in the city. Cranes have very good safety record,” said Mayor Bill de Blasio.

 In April, a construction worker was killed when a crane arm malfunctioned and slammed down on him

 In September 2014, a construction worker was killed when a massive slab of concerete toppled over and crushed him…

 The buildings department says in 2014 there were 231 construction accidents, compared to 186 in 2013.

The accident is being investigated by the Manhattan District Attorney, the investigations department and the buildings department.