THE BRONX (PIX11) -- Fire ripped through a Bronx home Friday injuring six people, including two children, who were seriously hurt.
A look inside of apartment 1R along Watson Avenue in the Castle Hill section of the Bronx and it does not take long to realize that there are some who will not be coming home anytime soon.
Jonathan Rodriguez was inside of a second floor unit, when he spotted danger entering his home, "The smoke ended up coming in through our living room and we were trapped basically in my mother's bedroom."
His mother Lesly Mattei shared her story minutes after escaping with the clothes on her back, "I was getting ready for work and when I started, I tried to get out and there was no way out of the apartment."
An FDNY rescue ladder is what saved the family. However, Mattei says that two family members had to be treated for smoke inhalation, "My daughter and one of my grandchildren are at the hospital, but my son and I are OK thank God."
Rodriguez also shared with PIX 11 News that was to be a day for celebration, "Today is my sister's birthday actually, she turned 25 today."
A birthday she will spend at the hospital.
However, at last check the family says that their two family members, a 25-year-old and her 1-year-old child were alert and able to cooperate with doctors.
Mattei adding that she is unsure exactly where they are going to spend this evening, however the Red Cross tells me they are lending a hand and Mattei confirms that the agency has reached out to them. In all, the Red Cross says it will be helping out three families -- seven adults and six children as a result of the fire.
One firefighter with the FDNY was treated for injuries following the fire.