Warning graphic video
HO CHI MINH CITY, Vietnam (PIX11) — A 5-year-old boy who became entangled in a giant kite fell more than 60 feet to his death in Vietnam on Sunday.
Van Minh Dat was working with his mother selling drinks at a kite field in Ho Chi Minh City when the rope of a 60-foot span kite became wrapped around his leg.
Several adults tried their best to reel the kite in against the strong gusts of wind.
The boy fell when the kite’s rope broke.
A spokesman for the city said officials were keeping children at a safe distance from the kites, but Dat was overlooked because he was with his mom in a refreshment stand.
The kite was launched as part of festival preparations of the Saigon Kite Club.
The boy’s aunt told Central European News that bad weather had caused the kite to crash several times earlier that day.
She said one of the kite’s ropes had become entangled around a table, knocking over chairs and tables.
Dat went over to pick up the fallen bottles when his leg became entangled in the kite’s rope.
He died in a hospital shortly after.