POINT PLEASANT BEACH, N.J. (PIX11) — A flick of a switch ignited a massive gas explosion that decimated a Point Pleasant Beach home and severely injured a resident.
The 47-year-old man woke up to the strong smell of natural gas and went to the bathroom; when he turned on the light the gas exploded, sending fire rushing through the house. Firefighters responding to the address around 1:40 a.m. found him alert and conscious on the sidewalk with burns over 40 to 50 percent of his body, according to the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office.
The man was rushed to the Jersey Shore University Medical Center before being transferred to Saint Barnabas Burn Center, where he is now in stable condition.
What prompted the gas leak is still under investigation.
Monday’s explosion is the second in days at the Jersey shore. A police dashboard camera recorded a Stafford Township home being reduced to rubble in a massive blast last Tuesday that injured 15 people.
Two of those injured were hurt critically.