Police officer hospitalized after reportedly drinking cleaner from McDonald’s tea dispenser
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (CNN) — An Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officer was taken to the hospital after reportedly drinking cleaning solution from a drink he ordered at McDonald’s.
According to the police report, the officer visited the west side McDonald’s, located in the 6800 block of West 38th Street, last Saturday. The officer reported he filled his cup with tea from the iced tea dispenser and immediately felt a burning sensation in his throat upon consuming the drink, reports WXIN.
The officer immediately alerted the store’s manager, who stated there should have been a cup over the dispenser because they were cleaning the device. The officer found the dispenser contained a heavy duty degreaser, according to the report.
The officer called for an ambulance due to complications from the fluid he ingested. He was transported to Methodist Hospital to receive treatment.
In late January, FOX59 reported a Muncie teenager filed a lawsuit, claiming a drink he purchased at McDonald’s contained bleach or cleaning solution. The teen reported the incident occurred in late August 2013. He pulled his cup with what he thought was iced tea and immediately “began to vomit and feel a burning sensation in his chest” from drinking “bleach and/or a cleaning solution.”
The complaint for damages claims the teen suffered unspecified permanent injury, and incurred medical and hospital expenses. Language in the complaint says the teen suffered “the loss of a whole and useful life.” The lawsuit does not shed light on why it was filed a year and a half after the alleged incident.