Devastating Edgewater apartment complex fire accidentally started by plumbers: officials

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

EDGEWATER, N.J. (AP) — Workers doing construction in a northern New Jersey apartment building accidentally caused a fire that has displaced more than 1,000 people.

Edgewater fire officials said at a news conference Thursday that the fire started Wednesday when workers were doing plumbing repairs in a wall.

They said the cause was "totally accidental."

The fire raged through the night Wednesday at The Avalon at Edgewater, overlooking the Hudson River. The fire was under control but still smoldering Thursday.

Four people suffered minor injuries, and no fatalities were reported.

.

AlertMe
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.