‘Out of love’: Husband foretells hospital murder-suicide on Facebook

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DOVER, N.H. (AP/PIX11) — A couple was found dead in a New Hampshire private hospital room after the husband apparently outlined his plans on Facebook, then killed himself and his wife.

Dorcas Lavoie told The Associated Press that her brother, Mark A. Lavoie, shot his wife, Katherine, and himself “out of love” while she was life support at Wentworth-Douglass Hospital.

Lavoie, 50, explained himself in a message on his Facebook page, which has since been removed, only several minutes before the shooting.

His message, posted at 5:59 a.m., read:

“I want to start off by saying this is going to be officially ruled a murder/suicide when in all actuality it is a double suicide … My baby was trying to escape the bi-polar demons that have been swirling around in her brain since childhood and now because of my selfishness in dialing 911 she is experiencing the only thing she feared more than her illness … life support on a respirator.”

In the post, Lavoie also gave instructions with what to do with his possessions and 401(k). He asked that the funds in their bank accounts go to paying for funeral services, including organ donation and cremation.

He asked friends to care for their pets,  and said “I don’t care what is done with the ashes but I know Kathy loves Damariscotta Lake.”

Friends commented on the post pleading with him to not carry through with the plans. Soon after, comments became shocked and melancholy.

Though it’s unclear wjy Katherine was being hospitalized, neighbors of the couple told the Boston Globe that an ambulance came to the home on Monday.

Police went to the hospital just after 6 a.m. after a 911 call reported gunshots in a private room in the critical care unit.

Authorities say they found a man and a woman dead in the room upon arrival, but did not identify the man, or answer any questions regarding the incident Tuesday, saying the killings were still under investigation.