NEW YORK (PIX11) — The noisemakers are ready, the ball is in place, and street closures are prepped as Times Square is set to transform once again into its sparkly New Year’s Eve attire.
Commuters — whether they’re ringing in 2015 in New York City or not — are being alerted to rolling street closures and subway route changes set to start Wednesday afternoon.
Revelers are strongly encouraged to take public transit, as street closures and parking restrictions are expected to cause traffic jams.
Times Square will be closed to cars starting at 3 p.m. Wednesday.
Celebrants braving the frigid New Year’s Eve temperatures will be corralled into viewing areas by police officers who will keep an eye out for the following banned items and behavior:
- No backpacks or large bags are allowed
- No alcohol
- Prohibited property may not be abandoned at checkpoints
- Anyone who leaves before the ball drops will not be allowed back to their original spot
All cross-town streets from 34th to 59th streets as well as Sixth and Eighth avenues should be avoided entirely, NYPD said.
Parking is prohibited in the following areas from 12:01 a.m. Wednesday until 1:00 a.m. Thursday, according to the NYPD:
- All cross-town streets from 33rd to 59th Street between 6th and 8th Avenue;
- West side of 5th Avenue, from 37th to 52nd Streets;
- West side of 6th Avenue, from 34th to 59th Streets;
- East side of 6th Avenue, from 37th to 52nd Streets;
- East side of 8th Avenue from 34th to 57th Streets;
- 48th Street between 5th and Ninth Avenues;
- 43rd Street between 5th and 8th Avenue;
- 42nd Street between 5th and 9th Avenue;
- 37th Street between 5th and 8th Avenue;
- 34th Street between 5th and 9th Avenue;
- 48th Street between 5th and 9th Avenue;
- 52nd Street between 5th and 8th Avenue;
- 58th Street between 6th and 8th Avenue;
- 59th Street between 5th Avenue and Columbus Circle.
Starting at about 4 a.m. Wednesday, the following streets will be closed to all vehicular traffic:
- Seventh Avenue, from 43rd to 48th Streets;
- Broadway, from 47th to 48th Streets;
- 46rd and 47th Streets, from Sixth to Eighth Avenue.
Started at about 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, these streets will be closed:
- Seventh Avenue, from 41st to 59th Streets;
- Broadway, from 47th to 59th Streets;
- 43rd to 47th Streets, from Sixth to Eighth Avenue.
Beginning at 5 p.m. Wednesday, 42nd Street from Sixth to Eight avenues will be closed to traffic.
After 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, the remainder of the traffic closures will be implemented based on crowd conditions:
- All cross-town streets from 37th to 41st Streets – Sixth to Eighth Avenues;
- All cross-town streets from 49th to 59th Streets – Sixth to Eighth Avenues;
- 48th Street, from Fifth to Ninth Avenues;
- Cross-town access for emergency vehicles will be available on 42nd, 48th, and 59th Streets.
Some subway access around Times Square will be closed starting at 7 p.m. Wednesday:
- Southbound and northbound N/R/Q lines will bypass the 49th Street station beginning at 7 p.m., Wednesday until about 12:15 a.m., Thursday.
- The northbound IRT No. 1 train will bypass the 50th Street station beginning at 7 p.m. Wednesday until about 12:15 a.m., Thursday.