NEW YORK (PIX11/AP) — Health officials are looking at a New York City spa’s safety plans after a patron was found unresponsive in a hot tub and died.
Police say it happened around 6 p.m. Sunday at Spa Castle in Queens. Relatives say the man, Hock Ma, was in good health in his 80s and had gone to the spa on a family holiday outing.
Medical examiners are determining what caused his death.
Ma’s body was discovered by another patron who brushed up against the submerged body, a patron told WNBC.
Spa Castle spokeswoman Stephanie Chon says a manager tried to resuscitate Ma after he was pulled from a shallow pool. He was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Chon says safety precautions are posted and staffers are certified in CPR.
Mary Ma says her father was a retired dry cleaner. She says the family is in shock.