Baby severely burned after slow cooker filled with boiling apple cider falls on him

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (PIX11) — A 1-year-old boy will be spending Christmas and the beginning of the New Year in the hospital after a slow cooker filled with boiling apple cider toppled over him, in a heartbreaking reminder about kitchen safety this holiday season.

Remy Linkous suffered second- and third-degree burns over 35 percent of his body while he was at his grandmother’s house in Caldwell County, N.C. on Dec. 21, doctors said.

His recovery is expected to be lengthy, and include nearly two months in the hospital, according to PIX11 affiliate MyFOX8.

A Marine, the little boy’s father said he’s been “horrible things” in combat, but “nothing will ever prepare you for seeing your kid in this situation.”

“The first two days were absolutely horrifying,” John Linkous said.

To help comfort his son – and himself – Linkous said he’s been singing to Remy, who’s attached to several tubes and wires and covered in gauze on a hospital bed.

“I have a lullaby I sing to him when I rock him to sleep so I’ve been humming that to him and singing it as much as I can,” Linkous said.

After undergoing surgery Tuesday night, the next step for Remy is skin grafts. But despite the excruciatingly painful ordeal, the little boy’s happy spirit seems to be intact, his parents said.

“Today he actually sat up and played with a few toys, gave me a high five and even smiled,” John Linkous said.

The Linkous family will spend Christmas in the hospital focused on helping their little boy heal. Meanwhile, the community is rallying around the family.

John Linkous’ place of employment has set the family up in a hotel, and the Firefighters Burned Children Fund gave the family $1,000 in gift cards to help with other expenses such as gas and food.

A GoFundMe account has been created to cover the family’s medical bills, and netted nearly $22,000 in donations as of midday Christmas Eve.