Man chugs eggnog, lands him in hospital for 3 days

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (PIX11) -- An eggnog-chugging contest at an office party landed one man in the hospital for three days, nearly killing him.

According to KTSU, as his non-alcoholic office party was winding down, Ryan Roche along with his wife and kids began to head for the door.

Then, his coworkers broke out the eggnog for a chugging contest.

Roche says he just couldn't walk away: "I've already decided, if I'm going to do it, I'm going to win."

Roche went up against two co-workers for a Ruth's Chris Steak House gift card.

The record was 22 seconds for drinking a quart of eggnog. Roche downed it in 12 seconds.

"I just opened up my throat, didn't even swallow," Roche said. "I pretty much poured it down."

Not long after, Roche "was pretty much shaking uncontrollably ... I was nauseous, and my breathing became a pant."

Later, he asked a friend in medical school to check on him. That friend knew something was wrong and took him to the hospital.

Doctors said the eggnog had been aspirated into his lungs.

Luckily, Roche had a sense of humor regarding the whole ordeal: "not only do I get a Ruth's Chris gift card, but I got a three night's stay in the hospital."

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.