$11,000 a year in takeout? Apps fuel NYC’s takeout love affair

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW YORK (PIX11) -- More and more New Yorkers are turning to takeout for their meals.

And it’s delivery apps like Seamless and GrubHub that are fueling this takeout feeding frenzy.

Takeout accounts for nearly half of Albert Asani’s business. He’s co-owner of Pazzo Pizza on Second Avenue.

“Just our phone number when people call in, it’s 30 percent. The additional 15 percent is from Seamless, GrubHub. These online ordering sites, so we get a total of about 45 percent of deliveries, takeouts, pick-ups.

Kris Ruby is president of her own public relations and social media agency. The 27-year-old says she spends about $11,000 a year on takeout. She usually sticks with sushi, a superfood salad or an Italian dish when she orders through the delivery app Seamless.

“It did come to my attention how much I’m spending on takeout. But the truth is, if you really do the math, it’s only about $30 a day, so it’s not crazy,” said Ruby.

The self proclaimed takeout junkie said her addiction was born out of necessity.

“I don’t have time to sit and make a meal in the middle of the day, when I have board meetings and everything else that I have to do,” Ruby said. “I am not alone here. There are a lot of people here who have a secret addiction to these apps.”