Ex-con arrested in connection with fatal subway push

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

THE BRONX (PIX11) -- Police have arrested a man on suspicion of murder in connection with the death of a stranger who was shoved into the path of a moving D train.

Kevin Darden, 34, was named Tuesday as a person of interest in the case and soon after booked for the murder of 61-year-old Wai Kuen Kwok, of the Bronx.

Kwok was standing on a subway platform Sunday when someone pushed him into the path of a speeding southbound D train. His wife watched on in horror, helpless as he tumbled onto the tracks and was crushed underneath the cars.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.  Police believe the attack was random.

After an intense manhunt, police arrested Darden Tuesday evening near his mother’s home in the Bronx, surely delivering a collective sense of relief for commuters across the city.

“I can’t erase it from my mind. The perpetrator knew exactly what he was going to do, and what he was doing,” said train operator James Muriel.

In his 23 years with the New York City Transit Authority, Muriel has been at the helm of a subway when three people were killed by the train.

The most recent death was Kwok's.

"All of a sudden, I see somebody flying across the platform. I just seen the guy’s back. That’s when I heard the screaming and the shouting. I placed the train in an emergency, while the gentleman was still in flight. I found the body in the third car. I tried very hard not to look at his face," Muriel said.

Darden is the prime suspect in a similar incident on Nov. 6 in which a 51-year-old man was pushed to the ground at the West 4th Street station, police said. The victim suffered injuries to his hand and back, was treated at a hospital and released.

PIX11 News has learned from sources that Darden has close to 30 priors and that it appears he uses "Darlyn" as an alias. The New York State Department of Corrections had him locked up as Kevin Darlyn.

He was housed for nearly four years for first-degree robbery after he stuck up a person at knife point along Main Street in Queens on April 24, 1999.

PIX11 News obtained the transcripts of his parole board hearing from -- coincidentally -- 11 years ago to the day on Tuesday.

During the Nov. 18, 2003, hearing at the Watertown Correctional Facility, Darden -- going by Darlyn --  told officials, "I have several job openings. One is in the morgue. That's a sure fire thing."

He was then asked by a parole official, "You've got a sure fire job in the morgue?"

Darden responded, "In the morgue. I'm scared to death."

At one point Darden talks about how he wanted to go home physically, but mentally and emotionally he wasn't ready.

"There's a lot of things that I had to work out within myself," he said.

He was then asked if he had worked them out.

A candid Darden offered said, "Yeah. But I still have a ways to go emotionally."



Comments are closed.